- EDUCATION: University of Notre Dame, B.A., University of Michigan, M.D.
- RESIDENCY: University of Michigan Medical Center
- CREDENTIALS: M.D., Board Certified in Child, Adolescent and Adult Psychiatry
- TREATMENT POPULATIONS: Children, Adolescents and Adults
- SERVICES PROVIDED: Medication Management, Cognitive-Behavior Therapy, Interpersonal Therapy, Hypnosis, Forensic Services and Consultation
- PROFESSIONAL MEMBER: American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, American Psychiatric Association, American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law, American College of Psychiatrists
- LICENSURE: District of Columbia and Commonwealth of Virginia
Dr. Novello practices adult and child/adolescent psychiatry and is also a qualified expert in forensic psychiatry and has participated in a wide range of civil and criminal cases. Dr. Novello also practices and is a leading expert in the field of hypnosis. He has served as the director of child and adolescent services at The Psychiatric Institute of Washington and was founder of the Gateway, a residential treatment program for alcohol and drug abuse.
Dr. Novello has authored two textbooks on psychiatry and has contributed several scientific papers to the medical literature. In addition, he has written three popular books for parents. His featured column, “You and Your Child”, appeared each week in Woman’s World magazine for many years. Dr. Novello’s most recent book, The Myth of More, is about finding happiness in life by overcoming character flaws called “lifetraps” and discovering spiritual values.
Dr. Novello has received numerous awards, including election to the American College of Psychiatrists and Fellowship in the American Psychiatric Association. He has also received a Best Doctors in America Award and the Medallion of the US Surgeon General. Georgetown University, where he is a member of the clinical faculty, has honored him with its Vicennial Award.
Dr. Novello has been a consultant to the National Naval Medical Center and the Inter-American Development Bank and has served as health issues advisor to US Senator John Warner of Virginia.
Dr. Novello is well-known to the general public through his media activities. In Washington, he has hosted his own daily radio call-in program on WMAL and his regular feature “The Family Doctor” has appeared on WJLA-TV News. Dr. Novello has also been active in the media on the national level. His syndicated radio program Healthtime has been heard daily in over 300 cities and he has often appeared on network and cable TV news programs and talk shows as well as programs such as Nightline, Good Morning America and The Today Show. In 2010, Dr. Novello was awarded the esteemed “Top Doc” ranking in the Washingtonian Magazine for his outstanding work as a child, adult and forensic psychiatrist. Dr. Novello is the only psychiatrist in all of Loudoun County to receive this honor.