Health Psychology is the application of psychological principles to a broad array of health-related problems. A great deal of research and clinical experience have demonstrated that biology, behavior and social context influence health and illness and that effective treatment for many health-related problems requires that each of these factors is addressed.
APS has expertise in applying the principles of Health Psychology to a wide range of problems, disorders and health issues including:
- Headache, fibromyalgia, and other chronic pain conditions
- Stress-related conditions
- Substance abuse, including tobacco, alcohol and other drugs
- Health anxiety and excessive worry about physical symptoms
- Eating disorders, including binge eating, bulimia and anorexia
- Adjustment to chronic illness, such as cardiovascular disease, cancer and diabetes
- Weight management and dietary change
- Exercise adherence
Psychologists at APS will evaluate each of the relevant factors influencing your specific problem and devise a personalized treatment plan to help you achieve your goals.