Psychiatric and Psychological Services On-Line
The highly credentialed and experienced team of clinicians at APPS is available to support your needs online or by telephone on a consultation or ongoing treatment basis. Receiving psychological or psychiatric help through the Internet or by telephone can be done as an alternative to traditional face-to-face therapy, and your APPS clinician will discuss your needs, goals and objectives prior to beginning.
Online consultation, therapy and psychiatry (i.e. medication management) is easy to use and can be very helpful. APPS uses Doxy.me, which is a free online service for video calls. Doxy.me allows clients to communicate directly through their computer or smart phone in face-to-face meetings with their APPS clinician. The audio and visual features of Doxy.me are of high quality.
Consultations can be done through Doxy.me or telephone. We are often contacted by individuals with specific questions involving a troubling situation or a concern or problem, for which they would like immediate advice and guidance. Online consultations at APPS are available for 30, 50 or 90 minute sessions. Some examples of online consultation include, but are not limited to, relationship problems, depression, anxiety, parenting concerns, medication, education or vocational or career work. Our team of clinicians will also discuss your developmental, psychological, educational, forensic or neuropsychological needs. We are frequently asked to review and provide recommendations on previous testing reports.
The advantages of Doxy.me on-line treatment include:
- The client does not need to leave home and or lose time commuting to and from sessions. Those with busy schedules, multiple commitments, illnesses or disabilities or simply very busy schedules, may prefer online sessions over office meetings.
- The client can decide how frequently and how much time he/she will dedicate to the online meetings. Some clients prefer 30 minute sessions for more immediate matters (e.g., parent guidance), while others prefer the traditional 50 or 90 minute therapy hour.
- The distance provided by working on personal problems via video calls, is more manageable for some clients who would otherwise be too uncomfortable to work on the same issues or difficulties in person.
- Clients outside of the area or in a rural setting can work with an APPS clinician regardless of the physical distance.
The disadvantages of Doxy.me on-line treatment include:
- Online treatment may not work as well as face-to-face therapy for those who are more comfortable working in person.
- Technical problems may degrade or interrupt online meetings. When this occurs, APPS will do everything possible to reestablish the connection, reschedule and/or refund the client for lost time.
Doxy.me on-line treatment, and telephone treatment, is not recommended:
- For individuals who are feeling suicidal or homicidal.
- For individuals who are under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- For individuals are experiencing psychotic symptoms or other severe mental illness.
If you are already seeing a clinician at APPS and are unable to make your next scheduled appointment(s), you can have your session(s) via Doxy.me, rather than interrupt your treatment.
Telephone treatment, like Doxy.me online treatment, allows clients to work with their APPS clinician outside of the office and at their convenience.
If you are already seeing a clinician at APPS and are unable to make your next scheduled appointment(s), you can have your session(s) by phone, rather than interrupt your treatment.
Confidentiality and Security for Doxy.me On-Line Treatment and Telephone Treatment
Doxy.me is a HIPPA compliant service – meaning that your personal information and treatment is secure, safe and private. APPS also uses firewalls and state of the art security for online consultation/therapy meetings. Moreover, our online therapy module is password protected and only permits the APPS clinician and the client to sign into the meeting at any given time. Telephone Therapy sessions are held over the office’s secure landline or by work mobile phones (at the discretion of the clinician). APPS follows the same HIPAA guidelines for treatment, confidentiality and privacy afforded to clients seen at the office.
Generally, as licensed psychiatrists, psychologists and therapists client-clinician information is kept confidential unless the APPS clinician becomes aware of the following during Doxy.me on-line treatment or telephone treatment meetings:
- Child or elder neglect or abuse
- An intent to commit suicide or homicide
Please contact our office manager at (703) 723-2999 or email@example.com if you are a new or existing client and would like to schedule on-line treatment or telephone treatment with an APPS clinician.